Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Unit 4 Learning Activity...

This week the learning activity asked us to practice Loving Kindness through an exercise on a CD.  These two questions about the experience are offered.

1. Describe your experience. (Did you find it beneficial? Difficult?) Why or Why not? Would you recommend this to others? Why or Why not?

My experience with this exercise was that it was somewhat vague.  I did not find it particularly difficult, but the subjective nature and general instructions made me wonder.  I could do the exercise one way and another might think they are doing the same thing, but the concept of the terms used is variable from person to person.  I would not recommend this exercise as I feel that learning about this subject from different philosophical perspectives would be more beneficial.   

Quotes from the bible, selections from Buddhism, Hinduism, Scientology, etc. would have been more effective in my opinion. 

2. What is the concept of “Mental Workout? What does the research indicate are the proven benefits of a Mental Work Out? How can you implement mental workouts to foster your psychological health?

I think it is important to use your mind.  There is an old saying, use it or lose it.  The proven benefits of a "Mental Work Out" include better memory, reaction time, recall, and IQ.  I have found the best mental workout to be contained in the book Self Analysis.  This is a book released in the 1950's by L. Ron Hubbard.  I am not preaching a faith here, but instead recommending a book that asks one to recall pleasant memories.  This really helps to solidify memory and it has helped me immensely over the last 6 to 8 years.  This is actually not Scientology as it came before that and was part of his research of the Mind and not the Soul.  When using this exercise I feel grounded, happy, and focused.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jonathan:

    Very interesting observation. Yes everyone has a different opinion and may perceive things in a different way. What one person may find a comfortable setting, another might fight totally opposite. I also agree that reading the Word of the Lord would be way more beneficial to myself and to peopel that believe in God. I feel that giving all my worries and fears up tyo God will get me through and carry me to my next step in life. I do not always stay on that path and veer from it quite often, but as soon as I realize what I am doing I try to jump back to where I left off.

    The catchphrase of "If you do not use it, you lose it", is something that I say to my fitness facility members on a daily basis. This is not just for your mind, it is for your heart and muscles. People tend to focus on the outsuide and the parts of the body that you see, rather than the internal organs and systems that help our body and mind function.

    Thanks for your post, I enjoyed it!!!

    Yours in health,

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete