Monday, February 21, 2011

Final Post for Creating Wellness...

  1. Review your unit 3 personal assessment of your psychological, physical, and spiritual well-being. Reflect on these areas . How did you score yourself on a scale from 1 to 10 in unit 3? How do you score yourself now? Has the score changed? Why or why not?
A. Physical wellbeing I rated at a level of 8 as I would like to lose some weight, but my blood levels and pressure are in great shape.  I still rate this at an 8 as I have incorporated the love of whole foods into my life and I do not eat the junk that I used to.  I have been off of coke's and high fructose corn syrup products for years.  I do tend to over eat and that is something that I am tackling this year.

B. I still constantly work on my spiritual well-being.  I would rate this at a 7 as with school I have not put in the time that I used to.  I keep my relationships in great order and I am constantly working to gain enlightenment by forwarding spiritual pursuits.  I study philosophy and different religous beliefs in search of truths and ideas that I can apply to make my life better. 

C. My psychological and emotional well-being is in great shape as I keep my daily meals and sleep in.  I feel it is important to feel good and I would rate this at a 9.  This will get to a 10 as I continue with more spritual well-being and keep my physical body in good shape.

2.  Review the goals and activities you set for yourself in each area. Have you made progress toward the goals? Explain.
 
A. I am still working to implement a weight training routine along with portion control to allow safe weight loss that is permenent.

B. I still plan to finish my studies of Zacharia Sitchin, the bible, and the koran by the end of the year.  I read little bits between classes and classes end in April.  This will allow more time to study these works and more application to modern life.

C. I have a goal to keep my sleep schedule, fitness, and food plan in so I can feel good and happy.


3. Have you implemented the activities you chose for your well-being in each of the three areas? Explain.

I have a Bowflex that I am going to use with the exercise portion of Body for Life that will ensure success in this area.  I have not been able to start this while running a practice and taking 18 credit hours in school.  I am actually starting tomorrow!

4. Summarize your personal experience throughout this course. Have you developed improved well-being? What has been rewarding? What has been difficult? How will this experience improve your ability to assist others?

This course has had several exercises that focus on different components related to integeral holistic health.  I found that meditation and the loving kindness exercises were the best for me.  I liked that the meditaion helped to quiet the mind and loving kindness put the focus on other people.  This helps balance the focus and makes it not all about me. 

To be fully honest I will not be implementing these practices in my personal life.  The reason for this is have similar practices that I use.  In my opinion these work better than these.  I currently use a system called Self Analysis which is a list of questions designed to raise awareness, increase reaction time, better memory, and increase happiness. 

I have found that it does those things and more so I will continue this combined with a great diet, and exercise program.  I am working to get the self analysis to be daily, but currently it is once a week.  When I am done with school I plan to put exercise in daily as well.  This is only about 3 months away, but one thing I have learned in this class is to work to put even a small amount in now and increase it in the future. 

3 comments:

  1. You have a very wellrounded plan of attack for achieving a higher level of wellness, I must say. I have enjoyed reading your posts. You have such a thought out plan to improve. It is admirable. I will say that it will not take long for the Bowflex to stop delivering results for you. It may be okay in the beginning, but you may want to find a gym or at least some free weights after a while. And one thing I have learned along the way ... by definition there can only be one "truth." You may search in many different places, but if two or more things are in contradiction with one another, they both cannot be right. Tolerance is one thing, but being sincerly wrong is still being wrong. Just a thought, I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a pleasure having you in class. You added to the discussions and shared beneficial applications of self-improvement. It's great that you have a detailed physical health plan. Stick to it and you'll be fine. As we get older it's really just about retaining mobility and strength. Spiritually your interest in world theology is commendable. My husband is the same way. He actually aspires to attend a seminary soon. He is a Muslim now but he grew up as a Christian. A lot of people like to talk to him because he's found some very practical, simple ways to explain religion. If you want you can email him at charlescatchings@yahoo.com, I'm sure he'd welcome the conversation. I like your self-analysis questions. I naturally find time to sit and reflect often but I don't have a list of questions I ask myself, would you mind sharing yours? It seems like we will both be graduating around the same time, so I wish you the best in your studies and in life. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Joseph!!!!!

    I am so impressed with the organization of your goal setting. You are in great shape with this and see how this can help you to get to your final destination.

    I understand that having a lack of time because of all of our commitments of school and work can get in the way of improving our spiritual life. It is really great that you are being optimistc about geting back on track witht this once school is over. I will work on the Bible, as well, because without God in our life, all else is posible.

    Incorporating whole foods is a great way to be healthier and keeping toxins to a minimum. Great job on this.

    All in al, quite impressive!!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete