Saturday, February 5, 2011

Unit 8 Learning Activity...

This course has had several exercises that focus on different components related to integeral holistic health.  I found that meditation and the loving kindness exercises were the best for me.  I liked that the meditaion helped to quiet the mind and loving kindness put the focus on other people.  This helps balance the focus and makes it not all about me. 

To be fully honest I will not be implementing these practices in my personal life.  The reason for this is have similar practices that I use.  In my opinion these work better than these.  I currently use a system called Self Analysis which is a list of questions designed to raise awareness, increase reaction time, better memory, and increase happiness. 

I have found that it does those things and more so I will continue this combined with a great diet, and exercise program.  I am working to get the self analysis to be daily, but currently it is once a week.  When I am done with school I plan to put exercise in daily as well.  This is only about 3 months away, but one thing I have learned in this class is to work to put even a small amount in now and increase it in the future. 

For that I have started exercising 3 days a week and have kept that in over the last 2 months.  Living in the present moment is important and working towards a goal is key.

5 comments:

  1. Joseph,
    I applaud your honesty and determination to do what is in your own best interest for your mental health and well being at this time in your life. Also that you have a game plan for the near future. Your experiences in the exercises may be useful to others even if you don't use them yourself.

    Good luck in all your future endeavors.

    Deb-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Sounds like you've got yourself on a goal oriented pathway! That's great! And, I think that any exercises used to raise self awareness have value, and there's nor eason to change what you've been doing if it's working well for you. But, it's always nice to dabble in new exercises, you never know when you might run across something that you like better. Congratulations on your upcoming graduation! I'm looking forward to mine as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you are doing great. I am glad that you have used this class as a starter to improve your life even more. You are a great example of how an exercise can help us with our mentality and also improve our physical fitness as well. Great post!!
    cristina holcomb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joseph,
    I agree that the two practices you chose do have a good balance. The meditation helps clear your mind and achieve stillness while loving kindness helps you appreciate others that are in your life.
    I also think its great that you have a practice already in place to strenthen your mental fitness. Whether it be one from this class or not it will benefit you greatly I'm sure.
    Stick to your plan and goals and you'll do great.
    Be well,
    Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, if you have got something that works for you, I say go for it. I am sure there are hundreds of variations on the techiques we have learned and many more out there we have never even heard of. I think the main thing is to find what works best for each individual and really put your all into it. It seems you are that type of person so I am sure you will do fine. Good luck with graduation.

    ReplyDelete