Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Unit 7 Learning Activity...

This class has been very interesting and in combination with my other classes I am having a really rough time keeping up.  I am taking 3 classes this semester and I only have 2 left.  In a sense I have my degree in Nutrition Science.  I am reminded of the end of High School and a saying that went around describing Seniors as having a disease called Senioritis. 

I think it comes from being overwhelmed and this set of three classes has done it.  This class has actually helped with the stress of this group of classes, but I am struggling to keep up with the workload.  This is the first set of classes that I am having to juggle what I do not do as I just don't have enough time.

I am glad to be making close to an A in each class, but I imagine they will end up being high B's.  Regardless I bring this up because this week I did the "Meeting Asciepius" exercise on track #4 of the Dacher CD.

I think calming the mind down is something that everyone tries to do.   Unfortunatly most try drugs (alcohol, marijuana, etc.). I think that spiritual pursuits are a much better investment in time with better results.  I find that working to be comfortable in the space one occupies without the mind yelling is important.    

Psychologically I am tempted by junk food less as I can actually feel the difference it makes in my consciousness.  If I did not work to have a quiet mind I probably would not notice the effect of junk food.  In other words our nutrition affects our potential spiritual wellness.

I will continue to apply these practices in my life to foster greater health and wellness through nutrition and keeping a peaceful calm mind.

I heard a story one time of a mother that asked Gandi to tell her child to stop eating sugar. Sugar was making her sick, but she would not stop.  Gandi told the mother to come  back in 2 weeks and the mother said ok.  In two weeks she came back and Gandi told the child to not eat sugar as it was making her sick.  The mother was puzzled as to why he had her come back so she asked him why.  He explained that he had not stopped sugar himself and he needed to stop eating it before he recommended that course of action. 

That ties into the statement,   "One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself (P.477)."   As a nutritionist I can not expect my clients to follow good eating habits or my advice if I am not walking the walk.  I have an obligation to my clients to be developing my health psychologically, physically, and spiritually?

I have spent the last 6 years learning and helping others gain better health.  This has helped me and when I am done with school I am going to devote more time to spiritual growth in my personal life.  This will allow me to continue and grow and be an example to others.

5 comments:

  1. Joseph,
    wow! juggling three classes, I have a hard enought time with just my two classes and I am stressed out to the max. I applaud your fortitude! I also agree with you, this class does help in calming down and resist reaching for that junk food, that we sometimes do when under stress. I especially enjoyed your story about Gandi, what a wonderful way to explanation the statement on page 477.
    Keep up the good work, no more senioritis for you!
    Deb-

    ReplyDelete
  2. First I would like to congradulate you on acheiving your goal and keep up the great work. It is hard to balance classes but you only have 2 more. I have had the same problem this semester, the difference was personal issues got in the way of school. I am currently busted my head to catch up and I hope I do. This weeks work has helped but I feel the actually practice of meditation has helped more. I seem to get more out of meditation on my own and not with the cd. Great post and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in the same boat with the workload of 3 classes. It has made no break time during the week that's for sure. I've got until the end of this year though, so you are a little ahead of me. As a nutritionist I am sure you have seen every type of bad eating habits. I wonder how many of those have roots in poor spiritual or mental health? These issues tend to influence people's eating habits for the worse. Maybe now you can treat them in more ways than one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Joseph:

    Thank you for your post. It really put what I felt into perspective. I agree that when teaching about nutrition and physical fitness, I have to definitely walk the walk. I have fell off of my great eating habits and am having a horrific time getting back on track and following my own advice. I am letting the stresses of life take a tremendous toll on me. I really cannot stop and this is hindering my business and furthering my building of my Isagenix business. I am so frustrated and am feeling lousy because of my sugar intake. I am working on the preparation of doing a cleanse, so I can get back to the old me. The way I am going to work on this so I can focus is to work on my spirital mind and read the Bible. I have to find the stength again to get megroove back and lose the weighyt I haveput on since I have injured myself in September and was unable to exercise the way I am accustomed to. The only way I feel that I can help myself, is not thru dugs, but vitamins, good nutritionand God.

    Thanks for your post, it has helped. Looke forward to your future insightful posts.

    Continue your amazing woork, you will get there. Keep up the great work!!!!

    Yours in health,

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this has been probably the best post I've read so far. You are undoubtedly correct in saying that food affects our mental status. I don't usually use food as a crutch, but I shocked myself today when I had a piece of cake and found comfort init (for a short period) because I was feeling so stressed. I went for a short walk, but it wasn't enough. I didn't have the time that I really needed for a good run to unwind. So, I suppose a short walk is better than nothing. It did help some. Lordy, I hope tomorrow is an easier day. My son turns six tomorrow! I'd like to be in a good mood when I come home!

    ReplyDelete